Next to the church at 10 East Mount Vernon Place is Asbury House, an Italianate Renaissance design of J.R. Niernsee and J.C. Neilson, circa 1855, which is now used by the church for offices and the parish house. The mansion is named for Francis Asbury (1745-1816), the first bishop of the Methodist Church in America. Asbury's burial plate is located in the church's narthex, and each week the gospel lesson is read from the pulpit that Asbury used when he preached in Baltimore.
Over the years, the church has served as the social and spiritual anchor to the Mount Vernon community and it continues in this role through our diverse and active congregation. Today, with the tireless work of community leaders and institutions, the Square and its environs are undergoing a wonderful renaissance. The church is deeply committed to helping Baltimore and Mount Vernon recapture the splendor of the 1872 community while also moving toward the future as a presence which shapes and enriches the lives of our diverse neighbors.